Monday, February 23, 2009

Antioxi what??


Everywhere we look we see the latest and greatest in weight-loss pills, exercise equipment, or anti-wrinkle cremes. How do we make sense of it all? Who do we believe? You have to find a trusted source and go with what YOU feel is best for you. Antioxidants are a rich and powerful ingredient found in certain foods - they help prevent damage caused by oxygen exposure. Check out the photo to the left. The apple on top was sprinkled with lemon juice and on the one on the bottom wasn't. The untreated half becomes brown and shriveled after it's exposure to oxygen, also called oxidation. According to Dr. Mehmet Oz this is what happens to your skin, eyes, and our heart. As their name implies, antioxidants do to your body what lemon juice does to the apple - help prevent the damage caused by oxygen exposure.
One of the top foods loaded with antioxidants are blueberries, however there is something out there that is hitting the market that has double the antioxidant content. Acai is a small fruit found in the South American rain forest and is commonly found in America in a juice form. I recently purchased some Acai vitamins at my local Food co-op and added them to my "must have" vitamin list.
Forever young a possibility? Well, no, but if we can delay the signs of aging naturally, why wouldn't we?

5 comments:

  1. I believe very much in antioxidants! I have been taking them since I have been in 7th grade! It's funny you used the apple display because for Mr. Behans class last year in Selling Principles I was selling a product called OPC-3 which is s super antioxidant and I brought in an apple and showed that same thing. Only I used how a car rusts! Also I learned about Acai when iu went to Brazil last year and it is a very great source of that and it good too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You learn something new everyday..i've always heard antioxidants are good for you but I wasn't exactly sure why. Now I know, this may persuade me to go pick up some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your posts! Its amazing how much antioxidants can do for your overall health. While I'm still learning about them I have realized how important they are to include in my diet everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, Jenni! Very interesting. I will be looking forward to your future posts and learning more about Acai and other vitamins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Morgan. Thanks for your post. More and more is coming out about the benefits of Acai. Lots to read up on - it's interesting stuff. Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete